Friday, March 13, 2015

A Project + An Aquisition + A Road Trip

            This week was pretty awesome at Casa Espinoza.  The weather was good, so we were outside a lot. Ernesto and I went running, cruised around the zoo with the kids, and made many trips to the playground.  We grilled out and I made my favorite kale soup. We also worked outside in the garden.  Spring is here!

Our back yard is getting an overhaul this year, starting by killing all of the weeds and the few blades of grass that remain after laying sod two years ago.  I hate to point fingers, but Ernesto fertilized the young grass too early and it was all downhill from there.  I don't even want to show you an "after" picture.  This is the "before" and is our goal to get back to.                                                                                                                    

We are going to lay yet another blanket of sod, but prepare the dirt better this time. And we are going to school ourselves in the proper care of bermuda grass. 

My compost bin is FINALLY up and running.  (thanks mi amor!)  After a year of talking about it, and three months with the pallets just sitting under the deck waiting to be constructed, my husband got on it!                                   It's not the prettiest compost bin in the world, but guess what?  It does exactly what it is supposed to. It holds compost.              Also, I wish it was double this size, but beggars can't be choosers.  We have a small yard and this little corner near the deck doesn't take up any of the "living" space, so it's the perfect spot.  Bonus: it's convenient!  I can empty my bucket by just throwing it over the deck into the bin.  Done and done.                            

Hopefully, I will be covering my plants with this gold come Fall!  It really just feels good to not being throwing all of that stuff in our trash can anymore.  It seems like such a waste.  I mean, I am a gardener and we accumulate A LOT of compost in our house.  How can I not?  Have you guys ever thought about composting, or do you already?  I would love to hear any tips! 

In other news...I am happy to report that I was successful in arranging a pick up for the brass chairs from Craigslist...in ASHEVILLE!  Yes, my addiction has reached into its 4th state.  

Please, for a moment, just try to look past the faux leather seats and check out the AWESOMENESS that is the square brass frames!!!  So good!  One thing I will say is that I wish they were solid brass, but maybe that is asking too much.  Still though, I know they are worth a pretty penny.  Im not going to make the same mistake I made with my last set of Milo Baughman dining chairs.  (still kicking myself!) 

In even more exciting news (to us!), we left for Florida this morning at 445AM.  We packed up the car Thursday night and loaded the sleeping kids into the car in their pajamas in the morning.   With coffee in hand, we were off on our first road trip of the year!

Last year my parents rented a little rustic cabin on the Weeki Wachee River in Florida (just north of Tampa) for a month.  We spent a week with them and had such a great time, so when they told us they were renting it again, we planned a visit.   

It was yet another easy road trip with kids.  Sleeping, snacks, and a couple movies made the time go by quickly.  We arrived by noon and were out on the kayaks later that afternoon.  A proper post with TONS of fun pictures will bee coming your way once we get back home! Until then, have a great week!  Adios!                                                



2 comments:

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails