Sunday, March 14, 2010

Tacos de Lengua (tongue tacos)

Ernesto and I are still in San Diego with his parents and eating Mexican food every day. Sunday is "family day" and mi suegra always cooks something delicious. The whole family comes over and there is a food extravaganza. She asked for requests this past weekend and Ernesto said tongue tacos. How does that sound? Ok ok, maybe it doesn't sound good, but you can't deny that is looks good!
{tongue tacos topped with onion, cilantro and salsa}

This was my first time eating tongue Mexican style. My mom made it sometimes when I was growing up, but it was a Hungarian recipe. I didn't like it from what I can remember, but I think that was more because it was tongue and I was a child!

I was surprised at the simplicity of this recipe.

You will need one cow tongue (we cooked three, but I have adjusted this recipe for one)
Rub all over with salt and oregano and place in a dutch oven.
Through in 2 bay leaves and 3 cloves of garlic.
Add 1-2 cups water and turn on high heat for 5 minutes.
Turn down to low for 2 hours. Take out of pot. They will look like this.

Wait for meat to cool and cut into cubes. Reheat. (many people shred the meat while hot)
Place into warm corn tortillas, top with chopped onion, cilantro and a salsa of your choice.
Buen Provecho!

5 comments:

  1. I just discovered a few weeks ago that our grocery store sells tongue but never thought to buy it because, well, what would I do with it? Now I want to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great-looking tongue tacos! You don't peel the tongue? That would make it a whole lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've eaten tongue before and really like it, though its not an easy thing to find. Love the way you used it, I would never have thought of tacos.
    Have a great weekend :D
    HH

    ReplyDelete
  4. what about peeling the tongues !??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, yes! peel the tongues after they cool! i forgot to write that!

    ReplyDelete

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails