Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sunday Morning Menudo!

Rise and shine!  Nothing like starting off the day with a bowl of cow intestine soup. ...or Menudo, as they call it in Mexico.  You have to admit, it looks damn good!  Menudo is a traditional Mexican soup made with tripe.  It is thought to be a cure for a hangover and is usually served for special occasions or with family.  (I remember eating it at a wedding reception at 3am in Tijuana

After trimming the tripe of all its fat, it is cut into chunks,  and set to simmer in a chile based soup overnight.   It must cook for at least 7 hours.   A steaming bowl of the soup is topped with fresh cilantro, onion and a freshly ground chile [de arbol] powder.  You almost forget what you are eating. Special Note:  Ernesto's mom has given me the recipe line by line, and I know you are dying to get your hands on it!  Be patient.  I'm excited to say that development of my food blog is underway, and I'll be introducing it to you soon.  While in San Diego this summer, I have been learning a whole lot of authentic recipes from an extraordinary cook, Ligia Espinoza. (aka: mi suegra) Add this to what Ernesto already knows, and we have ourselves a Mexican smorgasbord.   Stay tuned!                                             

1 comment:

  1. I always wondered what'd happened to those guys. Will you be posting recipes for New Kids on the Block or Boyz to Men soon?

    ReplyDelete

Hola!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thanks for stopping by Viva Cindy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails